Werner has over 40 years experience in both business and operations in the chemical industries with DuPont, Herberts / Stolllack (Hoechst), JVs, Reichhold Chemicals. Werner excels in Know How transfer and the systematic improvement of competitiveness and SHEQ.
As Industrial Consultant since 2005, Werner has been working with clients in Austria, Czechia, Denmark, Germany, India, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Poland, Russia, Slovakia, South Africa, and has delivered solutions for a variety of industry sectors including cellulose, constructions, copper mining, gas, grain terminal, oil, paints, petrochemicals, pharmacy, plastics, platinum mining, resins, steel, tobacco, wind energy.
Areas of Specialisation
Werner specializes in pioneering, trouble shooting and improving performances in business and operations. His industry experience is complimented by his savvy awareness of the cultural differences of every working environment. He has combined these skills to create customised programs for many organisations to lead them on their own unique journey to business and operations excellence.
- One of the most challenging assignment for Werner as the Plant Manager for DuPont Performance Coatings in Changchun, China, certainly was the Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) upgrading, simultaneously done with revamping the whole site, transfer of latest technologies, implementation of ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning system) and the latest Quality Standard required for the automotive industry TS16949.
- In 1999 – after the acquisition of Herberts (a 100% Hoechst subsidiary) by DuPont - Werner participated in the SHE Integration in Germany (Wuppertal, Cologne, Landshut) and France (Le Mans) and set up a new system of quarterly Synergy Audits: safety audits combined with quality process audits at the OEM manufacturing sites at Wuppertal. Later on, Werner was requested to do Synergy Audits at other DuPont sites, such as Tlalnepantla in Mexico, Guarulhos in Brazil and Chiba in Japan. Werner also concluded two Green Belt Six Sigma projects, and mastered the GFQ Quality Auditor certificate in 1999.
- During his tenures with Reichhold Chemicals, Stolllack / Herberts and DuPont, Werner dedicated his work throughout his professional career on 3 key areas which are the improvement of the performances in SHE, Quality and Productivity. Stolllack was the Austrian subsidary of the Herberts group and very active in the paint licence market in Middle East and Asia. After successfully executing a licence project in Baghdad, Werner negotiated and executed mutually beneficially licence projects in China (Beijing Red Lion, Changchun Paint Factory).
- Werner was granted two Austrian patents, one for a phenolic binder for post formable hardboards, and one for UV - curing pigmented paints.
- Being on the roster of the UNIDO, Vienna, Werner was on 3 UNDP missions to Mongolia (1985, 86, 88) on a project testing local natural iron oxide deposits (PM: Prof.Stefan Gustkovicz from Warszaw) for usage in building paints.
- When Werner was with Reichhold Vienna, he succeeded in aligning technical resins selected for the European Market from the US Reichhold technology pool to the local plant conditions at Vienna, supporting the expansion and integrity of reactors and utilities, as well as implementing a kill system for potential run-away reactions.
Career History (concised)
Prior to working as a a Consultant, Werner took the following roles:
- 2002 – 2004 Plant Manager
DuPont Performance Coatings, Changchun, China
Scope: revamping the whole plant from planning to commissioning and ramp up while continuing production.
- 1999 – 2001 SHE Integration and Coordinator OEM Manufacturing Europe/Asia
DuPont Performance Coatings, Wuppertal, Germany
- 1998 Coordinator OEM Manufacturing Europe/Asia
Herberts, Wuppertal, Germany
- 1991 – 1997 Managing Director Automotive Coating Systems and Technical Director
Herberts Turkiye (JV), Gebze, Turkey
Scope: planning, commissioning, ramping up a new paint factory for automotive and industrial coating systems, and simultaneously implementing business with key customers.
Introduction the single supplier and cost per unit system for the local car manufacturers.
- 1983 – 1990 Project Manager - Licence Projects (Automotive Coatings) Europe, Middle East, China.
Stolllack (Herberts), Austria.
Scope: planning and commissioning Licence Projects
- 1982 Plant Manager (Inorganic Pigments)
Habich, Melk, Austria
- 1968 – 1981 Management positions (Paints & Resins)
at Reichhold Chemie, Vienna, Austria
Scope: Know How transfer, customer services, expansion of the resin plant from planning – commissioning to ramp up.
- 1962 Military service
- 1963 - 67 Apprenticeship in Germany and Austria
- 1956 – 61 Study:
Chemical Engineering (college level) at the „Bundeslehr- und Versuchsanstalt für Chemische Industrie und Gewerbe“, Vienna, Austria
Degree: Ingenieur (Ing.)
- Languages: German, English. Turkish (very basic), Mandarin (operation’s key words only).
Private. Born in Vienna, married, 2 daughters, 2 grand-children
exhobbymarathoni (53rd finished April 2009 in Vienna, 1st HM at Goa, India in 2011). Keeping fit for travel by jogging and work by permanent upgrading competencies .
Mobile phone: + 43 676 402 4012
web.site : www.wernerbaernthaler.at
Consultancy company (tax number: ATU 62897878) founded 2005 after retirement from DuPont.